(Detroit, Michigan) A highlight of our recent two-day tour of the Motor City was having coffee and bagels in the lobby of that landmark skyscraper known as the Fisher Building at 3011 West Grand Boulevard in the heart of the New Center district. Our erudite guide and friend, Jay Samuelsson, absolutely insisted we stroll on over from our hotel for a bit of bagel noshing at the Fisher, and we are so glad we did, because we got to behold a National Historic Landmark that was designed in the Art Deco style and today houses the headquarters for the Detroit Public Schools and the Fisher Theatre. Alas, we visited on a day when tours are not offered, so we did not venture beyond the lobby, but we saw enough of the 1928 masterpiece in limestone and granite and several types of marble to make plans for a return on a weekend when tours are offered. And, so you know, the Fisher family financed the building with proceeds from the sale of Fisher Body to General Motors. Initially, architect Joseph Nathaniel French of Albert Kahn Associates planned for a complex of three buildings, with two 30-story structures flanking a 60-story tower. However, the Great Depression kept the project at one tower. The Fisher Building stands today as a symbol of Detroit’s industrial might and of its bright future.